HEALTHY EATING AT DAVANNI'S
DAVANNI'S PIZZA: TASTES GREAT! MORE HEALTHY!
The taste of DAVANNI'S Pizza is legendary! But did you know our delicious pizza is also healthy pizza? If you're willing to remember just a few quick tips, the pizza you eat at DAVANNI'S will taste so good, you'll have a hard time believing it's healthy for you.Moderation and Balance
If you want to eat and live healthy, the key is moderation and balance in everything.
This applies to food, alcohol, stress -- even exercise. We all know the benefits of regular and moderate exercise. In fact, walking is one of the easiest and best things you can do for your physical and mental health. Recent studies have shown that a small amount of stress is probably healthy and even "bad things" like alcohol and coffee actually have health benefits in moderation. If most of what you eat is reasonably healthy, the occasional brownie, cookie or rice crispy treat won't hurt you at all.Pizza -- A Health Food?
Pizza has a reputation for being "junk food," a "virtual heart attack on a disk." Truth or fiction? Well, it all depends on you. Eat crusts loaded with sugar and shortening with tons of extra cheese and every type of meat that ever walked the earth (or crusts stuffed with cheese like some of our competitors offer) and you have enough saturated fats (bad cholesterol) and sodium to clog King Kong's arteries.
And like at any restaurant, it is possible to do some damage to yourself at DAVANNI'S. However, we use very little salt and sugar in our dough (less than any of our competitors) and no shortening. Our pizza sauce starts from fresh tomatoes, not paste that has had the moisture and many of the nutrients cooked out of it. Done right, in moderation, DAVANNI'S Pizza can be a very healthy and nutritious part of your diet.
- It is balanced and complete.
- It is essentially a meal in itself. It contains all of the major food groups.
- It is high in protein, vitamins and carbohydrates.
- Tomatoes (pizza sauce) are high in Vitamin C (which enhances the immune system and speeds healing), Vitamin A (which protects our eyes and immune system), lycopene (a powerful anti-oxidant) and carotenoids (cancer fighting). In fact, a study of 8,000 people in Milan, Italy (where else?) found that the people who ate the most pizza, had the fewest cases of cancer.
- Mozzarella and Romano are good sources of Vitamin D and Vitamin A. In fact, Sicilian pecorino Romano (made from goat's milk), which we import and use, was recently identified as one of the reasons that people from that part of the world live longer than any other.
- Basil, oregano and black pepper are strong anti-oxidants (protects cells from radiation and aging) and help prevent the growth of unwanted bacteria. Garlic has strong properties that help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
Making Your Pizza Even Healthier
- If you are concerned about carbohydrates, order thin crust.
- Order half cheese. You'll still get plenty of cheese and flavor (the flavors of the other ingredients will really jump out) while significantly reducing the fat and sodium content. If you need more cheese flavor, add extra Romano.
- Order just one meat topping. Canadian bacon and chicken breast are the best, although our hamburger and sausage are pre-cooked, so they are very lean as well. If you have to have your pepperoni, order just half a portion spread over the whole pizza, like with the cheese.
- Pile on the veggies. The more the better -- tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, broccoli, and hot peppers are all high in vitamins, minerals, fiber, calories and no fat. The only veggie to watch is green olives because of the high salt content of the brine.
- Occasionally order you pizza "white" or "pink." Olive oil gives you the healthy fat (good cholesterol) your body needs. Olive oil, garlic and black pepper -- what could be better for your heart!
At DAVANNI'S, eating healthy comes naturally, is delicious, easy and isn't boring!